Friday, November 20, 2009

My Late Father's Birthday and a Lesson He Taught Me

My Late Father's Birthday and a Lesson He Taught Me

Hi! How are you? Today, November 20th, 2009, is my late father's birthday. He would have been 87 today, but sadly he passed away in the Malacca General Hospital last year - on April 4th, 2008.

Throughout his life on Earth, all 85 1/2 years of it, D.A. Devadason - widely known in Malacca as 'lawyer Devadason' - left his mark and his legacy. Last year, after he shed the shackles of this physical world, I wrote six blog postings here on specific lessons that I received from him. Today, on his birthday, I want to share something a little bit different.

My father had 10 children. In order of birth, we are: Rabin, Eva, Viji, Rajen, Jaya, Rani, Sarah, Pushpa, Parames and Niza. It's remarkable, but as I think of each of my nine siblings and of myself, I realise that we are all different. Of course, different individuals will always be 'different', but I mean we are each very, very different from each other. And yet our father loved us all deeply.

Countless times when I spoke to him, either in person when I would visit our family home in Bukit Baru, Malacca, or over the phone, he would firmly reassure me that he prayed for each of us, his children, every single day. And he really did!

I also remember when I was very small, he made sure I fully memorised the Shepherd's Psalm by David, Psalm 23. Its famous opening words are: "The Lord is my Shepherd, I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures, He leads beside still waters, He restoreth my soul..."

None of us is perfect, and we all make mistakes in life. But the lesson of learning to 'rest' in God in the midst of all the trials, troubles, travails and turbulence that mark our earthly life is one that I will always be thankful to my beloved father for.

So, as you read this - especially if you do so on November 20th - I hope you will do something special for those you love, while you are still able to. Specifically, I would suggest you think deeply about a wonderful lesson your own parents have taught you; then proactively choose to share that nugget of wisdom, whatever it may be, with someone younger than you. Never forget that genuine, abiding legacies are built one small act of kindness at a time.

Thank you for joining me here. In closing, I'm going to trust my Heavenly Father to relay a message to my natural father as I say, "Happy 87th birthday, Papa!"


Warmest regards,


Rajen


Rajen Devadason is CEO of RD Book Projects and its sister company RD WealthCreation Sdn Bhd. He lives in sunny, peaceful Malaysia with his gorgeous wife Rachel. He's a Malaysian Securities Commission-licensed financial planner, a life planning consultant, a professional speaker and a serial author.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Rajen
I thoroughly enjoy listening to Smart Money on LiteFm every morning on my way to work. Best of all you put God in the picture and this gives me the assurance that I'm not talking to some financial planner who's only interested in making me part with my money and left holding the "baby" when financial plans fall through! Our paths crossed some time back when I learnt of the accidental demise of your niece in an article or something and shared some thoughts with you on that grief journey, which was about the same time I lost my husband whom robbers mercilessly murdered and I was left to fend for myself and 3-yr old child. It's been 7 years and God has been merciful and gracious. Have no parents, in-laws, husband, siblings. Making decisions is tough and learnt a very, very expensive lesson when I jumped ahead of God and allowed myself to be conned of parting with my money (couldn't forgive myself for being such a poor steward). Trusted no one eversince, cried buckets but what's the use of crying over spilt milk! Had to forgive the person which was so difficult and take comfort that God is a defender of widows and father to the fatherless. No one who's genuine and honest to turn to for financial advice with integrity until I heard you on air and now have access to your free resources.
Thanks for the blessing.

Tuesday, December 01, 2009 9:03:00 PM  
Blogger Rajen Devadason said...

Dear Anonymous,

Hi! Thanks for writing your comment above. I'm honoured to have been of help to you and hope that what I have written and expect, God willing, to write in the future will continue to serve your needs.

I'm terribly sorry that you have gone through so much grief. I do need to make a major point of clarification, though; it is possible that your reference within your comment concerning 'the accidental demise of your niece' is incorrect. In my writing, I do tend to wear my heart on my sleeve and share my feelings freely, so it is possible that you are referring to some other painful episode I happened to be going through at the time.

Do drop me a line some time so we can renew our acquaintance. Because you did not give your name in the comment above, I actually do not know who you are.

Stay well and take care. Also, Merry Christmas and a very Happy New Year for 2010.

Warmest regards,


Rajen Devadason

Monday, December 14, 2009 6:54:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home